Friday, May 24, 2013

20 Week Ultrasound - 5.22.13

On Wednesday morning, I woke up before my alarm that was set for 6:30 and was ready to get the day started!! We had things to do and...a baby to see!! We were both SO excited to see our baby for the first time in 11 weeks!! Mark got home from work at 7:15, we ate some breakfast, and off we went!

Since we were required to have a Level II ultrasound with us undergoing fertility treatment, we had to go to Overland Park Regional to have our more indepth ultrasound. We got there at 8:00AM to check in and fill out paperwork.

When we got called back for our appt. I got butterflies! I was nervous of course, thinking of all the things that could go wrong, AND of course estatic!!

Before we even got started, I told the tech assistant our 'story' on how we were doing the Gender Reveal. She was so excited for us and thought it was such a fun idea! She told us that she'd just put the 'reveal' ultrasound picture in a sealed envelope for us and she would call our cake lady back home after the appt.!
The first doctor came in, put the warm gel on my tum-tum and there he/she was! Perfection!! Reality really set in...it was so surreal. Mark and I were all smiles. We grabbed eachother's hand and just squeezed and watched our baby move. I know we see my tummy getting bigger by the week day it seems, but..."maybe I was just eating more?!"  ;)
The first doctor took a few general measurements of the limbs, forearms, head, and other common body parts and she was out of there. Now for the second doctor.....

He does more of the 'internal' measurements like the kidneys, liver, brain, heart valves, lip, thickness of the neck, etc. Before he even got started he went over a few things with us to clarify. He asked if we used my own eggs for IVF- Yes...and then he asked if we did ICSI- Yes (that is where they inject the sperm into the egg with a needle). He said in that case, it's bit more common for there to be heart defects than those who did plain 'ol IVF (where they just let the sperm and egg do their "thing" in their little petry dishes;))

Of course my now my heart is a'thumpin' and I'm only thinking the worse, but I had faith that everything would measure out great! He finally got started and it was so nice because he told us what  body part he was measuring and if it was 'normal' (thank God!---I thought for sure we'd have to wait for my OBGyn to call us with the results of the ultrasound!)

He did ask us if we had a lost twin and I snapped and said NO! He looked at me, very confused, and Mark cut in and said, "yes we did!". I wasn't all the way with it...between me having dreams the last 2 nights that we had twins in there and the whole "heart defect talk", he caught me off guard and threw me for a loop. Whew, only ONE lil babe in there! ;) I replied, "yes, we did have a lost twin at about 9 weeks". We could see the sac from the lost twin that was still in there yet. He reassured us that the sac would not affect the baby at all.

Feeling more relaxed now after we cleared that up, we just gazed at the screen, it was so cool watching him/her in there. Right now he/she is breech, but like he said, we could look again in 10 minutes and he/she could be face-down. He watched the bloodflow in the heart for about 3 minutes and everything else checked out perfect-o!!

For awhile there, baby was flippin' mommy and daddy the birdie (top)! Daddy got a good laugh out of that! When I told my mom that, she said maybe that "middle finger" was something else. She's so naughty!

When it came time to measure "down there" he was very persistent on the fact that psychology is just not the same as seeing it on a picture. Mark and I looked at eachother, confused on what to do now beings we had the whole Reveal planned out (talk about a rush!!!). I told Mark he could look if he wanted but I wasn't going to. Mark knew better ;) We both closed our eyes and before we knew he said, "ok you can look, I'm done down there!".

Right now, I am measuring 5 days ahead which would put me at 20 weeks and 4 days. Baby H weighs a healthy 12 oz which is perfect for how far along I am.
I told Auntie Laura that Baby H is going to have big feet like his/her cousin Adelynn! =)

Right at the end of the ultrasound, doing the final overall scan, he noticed that Baby's umbilical cord was right by the sac of the lost twin. He raised alittle concern but he didn't think it would affect anything. He does want to see us back for another ultrasound(yay!) in one month to check on the growth of Baby and make sure that sac does affect the umbilical cord. We were happy we get to see Baby again and THIS time we'll actually get to "see" for our own eyes what it is hehe.

Today was one of the best days of my entire pregnancy I think!! ;) I wish I could see my baby EVERY day! 20 more weeks! :)

BoY oR GiRL!!!! Coming soon............stay tuned my friends.



No comments:

Post a Comment